Friday, September 7, 2012

Wacky Cookies

Wacky Cookies (Keep Secret)




I found this recipe under the C tab for cookies in the recipe box.

What's the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of sauerkraut? A hot dog during a summer party? A hot Reuben sandwich? Chances are the word cookie never crossed your mind, but that's the next recipe I'm attempting in my mom's recipe box!


I was obviously intrigued by the name and couldn't help but wonder who would ever think to put sauerkraut in a cookie! When I asked my mom about this recipe she said she used to make a cake with sauerkraut in it too that my father loved years ago. (I will have to add that to the list of recipes to try). She said the sauerkraut creates a texture like coconut. I was so eager to bake these top secret (although clearly published in some Chicago paper) cookies! 



 


Wacky Cookies Keep Secret
Try these wacky cookies for a surprisingly
different taste. Kraut is added but the cookie
flavor won’t give away the secret.

¼ Lb. stick margarine
1 Cup Sugar
1 Egg
1 Cup drained sauerkraut, rinsed and finely chopped
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 ½ Cups sifted flour
1/3 Cup unsweetened cocoa
1 Teaspoon baking soda
¼ Teaspoon salt

Cream margarine and sugar; beat in egg; stir in kraut and vanilla.
Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda, and salt: with a
wooden spoon, gradually work into kraut mixture.
Drop by level tablespoonfuls, about 1 ½ inches apart,
onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 375-degree
oven 8 to 10 minutes; do not over-bake. At once remove with
wide spatula to wire rack to cool. If desired, cover with chocolate
frosting. Makes about 3 ½ dozen.






After you set your oven to 375, the first thing you'll need to do is strain and wash the sauerkraut. I put mine in a colander and let it sit under running water in the sink while I got the rest of the ingredients together. 

Once the sauerkraut is washed thoroughly, be sure to squeeze out all of the remaining liquid. You'll then need to chop it into very fine pieces. Since I cut this recipe into thirds, to prevent having an over abundance of cookies in the house, I just chopped the sauerkraut on a regular cutting board. However, if you're going to make the full recipe I highly recommend using an electric chopper. 

Next you will need to cream the sugar and margarine until they are well combined.


The best options is to use an electric mixer so you don't have to do all the work! Then you'll need to beat the egg into the sugar and margarine mixture. (Since I cut the recipe down to a third of the ingredients, I had to mix the egg together in a measuring cup first to be sure I could split it up into the correct measurement). The mixture will be very light and fluffy.


Once the egg is incorporated well into the mixture you will need to add the drained and chopped sauerkraut as well as the vanilla. Mix this on medium speed until everything is incorporated. 


In another bowl, sift together the rest of the dry ingredients; flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. The original recipe only lists baking soda, however the instructions tell you to add baking powder too (a flub on the editor's part) so I just used the baking soda it calls for and the recipe turned out fine. 

You can put away your electric mixer now since we'll be using a wooden spoon for a gentler mix. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet sauerkraut mixture with the wooden spoon. 



As you gradually mix the dry ingredients with the wet ones you will notice the color of the batter will darken to a rich chocolate color. When both mixtures have been incorporated you should end up with a batter that looks like this:


It will be slightly lumpy due to the sauerkraut. Next you'll need your baking sheet. Don't bother to grease or spray it though. The batter has enough margarine to keep the cookies from sticking to the sheet. Use a tablespoon to drop the dough onto the cookie sheets. Be sure there is about an inch between each cookie so they don't mush together and will bake evenly.


Your cookies are now ready for the oven! Mine only took 8 minutes  to bake so be sure to set a timer or keep a close eye on them. The finished product will look like this:


Be sure you take the cookies off the sheet immediately and transfer to a wire rack so they can cool completely. 



Ta-da! You've successfully made some yummy top secret cookies with a pretty strange ingredient. Once the cookies have cooled you'll want to taste these unusual treats right away! 

I rate these cookies a 4 out of 5 on the yummy scale. They were very chocolaty and moist, but the texture was a bit like eating a cake. I like my cookies to be a little crunchy not sponge-like. However, I was very impressed that they didn't seem to taste at all like sauerkraut. Since it was washed of it's sour and bitterness before going into the batter I think it turned out to be exactly like my mom said, a coconut impostor! 


The original recipe recommends adding chocolate icing to the tops of the cookies, but I'm not  a chocoholic so I just left them as they are. Don't be afraid to give the icing a try or even make them into little cookie ice cream sandwiches; perfect for the kids or sweet tooth in your life! 


Don't hesitate to make these super chocolaty delights because of their unusual ingredient! And don't worry, you can share this recipe with anyone you like! No one came after my mom since she clipped the recipe out of the newspaper before I was born; I'm sure you won't be prosecuted (but whoever edited the original recipe should be for that typo)! 



No comments:

Post a Comment