Thursday, October 18, 2012

Peanut Butter Pudding Cake

Peanut Butter Pudding Cake 



This recipe was listed under P for pudding although it didn't really come out like a pudding, but we'll get to that later! 

Peanut butter is a favorite for many and a enemy to some. Lately people (mostly kids) have been developing horrible peanut allergies so I definitely don't recommend making this recipe if that person happens to be you. 

My mother never made this recipe, but was a skeptic about a pudding cake being something good.So was I and you'll find out exactly what I think about this interesting newspaper recipe! 

The original:



Peanut Butter Pudding Cake

 1 Cup all purpose flour
1 & ¼ Cups packed brown sugar
2 Teaspoons baking powder
½ Teaspoon salt
½ Cup milk
1/3 Cup chunk style peanut butter
2 Tablespoons cooking oil
1 Teaspoon vanilla
1 & ½ Cups hot water

1.      Thoroughly  stir together flour, ¾ cup of the brown sugar, the baking
powder, and salt. Add milk, peanut butter, cooking oil, and vanilla.
2.      Spread in a greased 8-by 8-by 2-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with
remaining brown sugar. Carefully pour hot water over entire top.
3.      Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice
cream.
4.      Serves six.

     This recipe has a small amount of ingredients so it shouldn't be hard to find them all in your kitchen already. I don't enjoy chunky peanut butter (consistency issues!) so I opted for the creamy kind. You can use either light or dark brown sugar. I had a brand new box of light brown sugar so that's what I used. In case you were wondering, cooking oil is Canola or vegetable oil. (Definitely DON'T use olive oil!) For the hot water I just heated a medium sized pot of water on the stove while I mixed the ingredients. 


      First things first, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and try to find the squarest baking dish you have. I didn't have an exact 8x8x2 baking dish so don't worry if it's not exact to the measurements. Make sure to grease the dish well; I used Canola oil spray.

      A good thing about this recipe is that there's no need for an electric mixer of any kind! It's     simple as can be and only requires a large bowl and spoon. First, you'll need to add the flour, 3/4 cups of the packed brown sugar, baking powder, and the salt to the bowl. Mix them together well so the sugar isn't chunky. 



     Once the dry ingredients are mixed together you can add the milk, peanut butter (style of your choice), cooking oil, and vanilla. I mixed each one in separately before adding the next liquid to be sure they distributed evenly. The mixture will be very sticky and gooey. I was surprised by the size of it so don't be alarmed that it's not a large amount. 




     Now you'll need to put the mixture into the pre-greased baking dish. I had trouble spreading it out evenly because the dish was so slippery. My suggestion to you would be to grease the spoon you're using before trying to spread it out. 




     Once the mixture is spread out evenly go ahead and sprinkle on the remaining portion of brown sugar (1/2 cup). It seems like a lot (and it is), but that's what the recipe calls for. Don't hesitate to adjust the amount of sugary goodness on the top to your liking. 



      Here comes the strangest part of the recipe; now you're going to pour the hot water over the entire mixture. I hope I'm not the only one who think is strange! 


      Now that you've got this slimy mixture together go ahead and put it in the pre-heated oven, but be sure to use pot holders because the dish will already be hot. Mine cooked for exactly 45 minutes and came out looking like this:



      Not very appetizing, but I thought it looked like a peanut butter cookie on the top with bubbly goo around the edges. Unfortunately, that's exactly what it turned out to be! 



      Don't let the picture fool you!!! While it looks pretty delectable that's far from the truth. It wasn't so bad that I couldn't eat it, but texture is a touchy subject for me when it comes to food and this just wasn't a pleasure texture. 

       I gave this recipe a 2 out of 5 on the yummy scale. 


     While it wasn't so bad that I couldn't eat it, it was not pleasant. I'm not sure why I was thinking it would come out like a warm cookie, but I was completely wrong. Maybe you'll like it though. I took a gamble on this newspaper recipe and I never will again! 

     This recipe is definitely not one of the greatest, but if you're a peanut butter lover don't be afraid to try it. Maybe you'll love it too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment