Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Hot Artichoke Dip

Hot Artichoke Dip



This recipe was found under the D tab for dip. 

This is yet another recipe that was cut out from a newspaper and of course my mother never attempted to make this either. As the Super Bowl started to round the corner I knew I wanted to try out a dip recipe from the shoe box. The recipe is fairly simple, but unfortunately not very healthy! This one doesn't involve any confusing ingredients or directions, thankfully. Let's start dipping! 




Hot Artichoke Dip

14 Ounce can artichoke hearts
1 Cup mayonnaise
½ Cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ Teaspoon seasoning salt
Garlic powder to taste
½ 4-ounce can chopped jalapeno peppers (see note)

1. Quarter or chop artichokes. Mix with remaining ingredients.
2. Pour into a small casserole and bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
3. Serve with crackers.
4. Makes three cups.

Note: Chopped back olives or green chilies can be substituted for jalapeno peppers.

I happened to have all of the ingredients in my kitchen except for the can of jalapenos. Instead I had a fresh jalapeno that I used. You can use one of the substitutes in the note or any other alternative if you don't like jalapenos. I'm not exactly sure what they meant by 'seasoning salt', but I just used regular salt. 


When you have all of your ingredients ready start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. When the oven is ready you can open the can of artichokes and dump out the water. 


Depending on how you like your artichokes, cut them into either quarters or chop them up. 


When they are cut to your liking you can put them in a mixing bowl and start to add the other ingredients. First I added the mayonnaise to the artichokes. 


Then came the Parmesan cheese...


... and the salt and garlic powder. Since it doesn't tell you how much garlic powder I used a teaspoon to start because it tends to have a powerful flavor. 


Next, I chopped the fresh jalapeno and added it to the bowl. 


I then mixed all the ingredients in the bowl together and tasted it. It needed more garlic powder so I added another teaspoon and that did the trick. 


When the mixture tastes good to you, place it in a small baking dish or casserole. 


Go ahead and put the dish in the oven when it is ready to be cooked. A good addition might be to add some bread crumbs to the top to make it crunchier when cooked. 

The recipe says took cook it for 20 minutes, but mine took more like 30 to reach a golden color on the top. 


When the dip is ready go ahead and dig in! The recipe suggests using crackers, but I used tortilla chips. You can use anything you'd like, even vegetables! 


Mmmm delicious! The jalapeno gave it a nice kick. I've never had artichoke dip that was spicy so I enjoyed the change. If you're not a fan of spicy food definitely use another alternative. 

I gave this recipe a 5 out of 5 on the yummy scale! 


I highly recommend trying this recipe. It's simple and delicious! Happy dipping! 

No comments:

Post a Comment